Beautiful bride’s tragic death highlights silent killer in millions of Brits’ homes

YOU could be in danger...

| Updated:

A survey commissioned after the devastating death of newlywed Katie Haines has revealed that millions are at risk from silent killer carbon monoxide.

Life was good for 31-year-old Katie; she had just returned from an incredible honeymoon with husband Richard, and they were looking forward to starting a family.

But that all changed in an instant.

The journalist and publicist was overcome by a deadly cloud of poisonous gas in her bathroom one evening, and instead of her planning for a bright future, her family found themselves organising a funeral.

Since Katie’s tragic death from carbon monoxide poisoning, on February 18 2010, her family have tirelessly campaigned to warn the public about the dangers; if this clear, odourless gas doesn’t kill, it can leave victims with brain damage.

A YouGov poll, commissioned by the Katie Haines Memorial Trust, revealed that two fifths of Brits do not have a carbon monoxide alarm to warn them of the deadly gas.

Katie’s father is launching the sixth annual gas safety week, in the House of Commons.

He explained: “My wife Avril and I lost our precious daughter Katie to carbon monoxide.

“Weeks after her wedding, she was poisoned by carbon monoxide leaking from a defective boiler in her home.

“We formed the Katie Haines Memorial Trust to try and raise awareness of this terrible ‘silent killer’ and make sure nobody else loses loved ones in such a senseless, avoidable way.”

Read more: Reality TV star nearly dies of alcohol poisoning 

Read more: “I had to kill Octomom to save my life”

The Trust found from the survey that only 40% of Brits know that the safe colour for a gas appliance flame is blue.

Of the 2,133 adults who took part in the survey, 11% thought the normal colour could be yellow and still safe; 14% thought it could be orange and 4% thought it could be green; 15% did not know what colour it should be.

The trust has released a video #causeforalarm to urge people to get their appliances checked and install an audible alarm to detect carbon monoxide.

What are you waiting for?

Nancy Brown
Associate Editor

Related Topics